<p><strong>Allow extra time when flying to the U.S.</strong> <br />Due to security measures implemented by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Volaris strongly encourages you to <strong>arrive at the airport a minimum of two hours before your scheduled departure </strong>to allow for additional screening time and ensuring you don’t miss your flight. Heightened security measures have been introduced by DHS that require enhanced screening of personal electronic devices such as tablets and laptops. Please be advised, all personal electronic devices larger than a smartphone will need to be easily accessible and have all cases, cover and/or packaging removed. To learn more about the enhanced security measures, please visit the Department of Homeland Security website. <br /> Department of Homeland Securitywill link to the following website:<a href="https://www.dhs.gov/news/2017/06/28/fact-sheet-aviation-enhanced-security-measures-all-commercial-flights-united-states">here</a> <br /> Mexico Communications and Transportation Ministry: <a href="https://www.gob.mx/sct/prensa/medidas-de-seguridad-extraordinarias-en-vuelos-hacia-los-estados-unidos-de-america">here</a></p> <p> </p> <p><strong>New Baggage Policy starting on March 1st, 2017</strong> <br /> Baggage policies vary depending on the route. <br /> If you purchased a flight from/to Mexico or Puerto Rico before March 1st., 2017, your checked baggage is still included on your fare, regardless of your flight’s date and destination. You can check the baggage included on your fee by going to <a title="ADD EXTRAS" href="https://preflight.volaris.com/" target="_blank">Add Extras</a>.</p>
Baggage policies vary depending on the route. See the ones that apply to your destination here:
ON DOMESTIC FLIGHTS WITHIN MEXICO
1 checked bag of no more than 62 total inches and 55 lbs.
2 small cabin bags with a maximum size of 9.8 inches in length, 15.7 inches in width, and 15.7 inches in height.
ON INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS
2 small cabin bags with a maximum size of 9.8 inches in length, 15.7 inches in width, and 15.7 inches in height.
Do you need more baggage?
You can add the extra baggage you need for your trip with an extra charge.
- Get up to 1 medium cabin bag with a maximum of 22 lbs. and which measures up to 15.7 in length, 12.9 in width and 22.4 in height.
- You can take up to 5 checked bags of no more than 62 total inches (width + height + length) and 55 lbs.
If you check a bag that measures more than 62 total inches or weighs more than 55 pounds you will be charged an excess baggage fee.
You can get them during your booking process, or if you already have a flight, in the Add Extras section or through our Call Center. You can check the Additional Service Fees here or for trips within Central America here.
You can also calculate very easily the price of your baggage with our Additional services calculator.
Please remember it is cheaper to buy your extra baggage during your booking than at the airport.
IMPORTANT: Due to an official disposition by the TSA (Transportation Security Administration), starting on February 15th, 2017, on all flights from United States and Puerto Rico, only two small cabin bags are allowed per customer. If you wish to, for an additional cost, you can change one small cabin bag for a medium cabin bag.
Small Cabin Bag
Included in all of our routes, without extra charge:
· Two small cabin bags, each with a maximum size of 9.8 inches long, 15.7 inches wide, and 15.7 inches high.
For example: handbags, back packs, briefcases, computer cases, etc.
*NOTE: If your bags exceed the limit size, you can check them or pay a fee for an additional medium cabin bag.
Medium Cabin Bag (with extra charge)
· The additional medium cabin bag can measure up to 15.7 inches long, 12.9 inches wide and 22.4 inches high, and weigh up to 22 pounds, including the wheels, if it applies (limited to one cabin bag per customer).
· When purchasing a medium cabin bag, you automatically get priority boarding.
· Save money by paying for a medium cabin bag in advance. Purchase it when booking your flight or before arriving to the airport. If you need it, you can add it too while making your Web Check-in.
If you’ve already made your reservation and wish to pay for an additional baggage, go to Add Services and click on Travel Extras, or contact our Call Center. You can also add a medium cabin bag when you print your boarding pass from our web page.
IMPORTANT: Due to an official disposition by the TSA (Transportation Security Administration), starting on March 15th, 2017, on all flights from United States and Puerto Rico, only two small cabin bags are allowed per customer. If you wish to, for an additional cost, you can change one small cabin bag for a medium cabin bag.
YOU MAY TAKE:
- Liquids, gels and sprays: They should go in containers no larger than 100 ml / 90 gr and in a transparent plastic bag tightly sealed.
- Infant formula, milk, baby food or medication: (with or without a prescription), you must inform the airline about it and remember that your baggage may be subject to inspection.
-Batteries: you can carry this types of batteries for personal use in electrical-electronic devices: D, C, AA, AAA, 9V and 6V.
- Alcoholic Beverages: You can carry in your cabin bags up to 5 lts of alcoholic beverages acquired in Duty Free that contain between 24% and 70% volume of alcohol, with brand and intact seals. Only applies on direct (non-connecting) domestic or international flights.
*Always keep your official ID and documents, medication, money, keys, perishables and electronics in your cabin baggage.
Any medium cabin bag that exceeds acceptable dimensions must be checked. If you've already checked one bag, you'll be charged for an additional checked bag. This can only be done at the Volaris airport counters.
You can also save money by purchasing our More Baggage Package during your booking process.
What is checked baggage?
The checked baggage is the one that goes inside the loading area of the airplane. You must go to the Volaris counter at the airport to get the corresponding bag tags that identify your baggage and so it can be taken to the plane.
The checked bags should be of no morethan
Baggage included in your fare according to your route:
ON DOMESTIC FLIGHTS WITHIN MEXICO
Your fare includes 1 checked bag
ON INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS
Your fare does not include checked baggage.
*If you purchased a flight from/to Mexico and Puerto Rico before March 1st., 2017, your checked baggage is still included on your fare, regardless of your flight’s date and destination.
When purchasing your flight with your INVEX Volaris Card, starting on March 1st., 2017, on all of our flights from/to Mexico and Puerto Rico, you can carry your first documented bag without extra cost.
If you need more baggage, you can take up to 5 checked bags of no more than 62 total inches (width + height + length) and 55 lbs. for the corresponding extra charge. Purchase your extra baggage before getting to the airport so you can save more. Do it during your booking process, or if you already have a flight, by going to Add Services or through our Call Center.
CHECK YOUR BAGGAGE AT THE COUNTER
For domestic flights (within Mexico), check your bag at the counter at least 2 hours before your flight’s departure. For international flights (USA, Puerto Rico and Central America), check it at least 3 hours before your flight’s departure.
Take note that the boarding process closes 45 minutes before your flight's departure.
If you check your baggage after the time limit, it will be your responsibility to cover any additional cost associated to its delivery, in case it can’t be shipped on your same flight.
TIP: check your baggage from the comfort of your home or office! When you arrive to the airport, you'll have a quick and easy experience delivering your baggage to our staff. Check Home Printed Bag Tag for more information.
· None of your bags can weigh more than 55 pounds or measure more than 62 total inches (adding up the width, height and length).
· When checking bags, make sure that the bag tags have your name and the correct destination. And when claiming your bags, make sure that the tag on your bag matches your receipt. (Our Volaris Ambassadors are the only ones who are authorized to put a tag on your bag at the counter)
· If the perishable items you’re carrying on your checked bag do not comply with the necessary requirements, they won’t be allowed on the plane.
YOU CAN TAKE:
You can check a cardboard box as long as it is in good condition, weighs no more than 55 lbs. and is not being used to transport eggs or hazardous materials.
Perishable items can be transported inside the checked baggage or as separate items, at the customer’s own responsibility, as long as everything is carried out in accordance with the laws and regulations applicable to the region or country where the flight takes place.
Every item must be packed securely in a resistant recipient, it must indicate the gross weight of the package, and the kind of perishable item it contains. If double wrapping is required, secure the top layer with plastic tape. The container must not be torn, broken or have any damage that could cause leakage.
Considered as perishable items: fresh meat, frozen meat, sweets, cakes, flowers, plants, fruits, vegetables, fish, seafood and milk products.
Please note that all these items are accepted with limited responsibility. Volaris assumes no liability for stolen or damaged perishable items caused by flight delays.
· Attaching two or more pieces of baggage with plastic, tape, rope or any other material is forbidden. They cannot be checked as a single item and an additional baggage fee may apply.
· Perishable items that don’t meet the necessary conditions won’t be allowed on the plane.
· Restricted items will not be allowed in your checked baggage.
· When you arrive at your destination, find out which carousel has the baggage for your flight and claim your checked items there.
If you're traveling with sports equipment, you can pay for this special baggage service during your booking process, in the Add Services section, at the Volaris airport counter or through our Call Center. We recommend you to do so before your flight to save more money.
· Your sports equipment must not weigh more than 55 pounds.
· The sum of its dimensions (height + length + width) should not exceed 98 total inches. Bear in mind that these dimensions will be considered only when paying the correspondent fee for this service.
· Oversize and excess baggage fees may apply.
· Sports equipment will not be accepted if it exceeds 99 pounds or 110 inches.
· You're responsible for packing your sports equipment. We recommend using a special case that fully protects it.
Volaris takes no responsibility for any damage to sports equipment during the flight or when handled if it is not properly packed in resistant containers.
RESTRICTIONS AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMMON SPORTS EQUIPMENT
Disassemble the pedals, rotate the handlebar, partially deflate the tires, and remove one wheel. Pack any loose biking articles separately.
You can take one flotation vest, one diving regulator, one mask or visor, one snorkel, one pair of flippers, one neoprene suit, one tank harness, one tank gauge, and empty cylinders (it is prohibited to transport compressed air tanks or any gas mixture). The tank valve must be open and diving lights disconnected (terminals should be sealed with insulating tape).
Ski Equipment (Snow or Water)
For snow skiing you can take one pair of skis, one pair of poles, one pair of boots, and one mask; for water skiing, one pair of skis and one flotation vest.
You can take one golf bag with a maximum of 14 golf clubs, a maximum of 12 golf balls, one pair of shoes, and golf tees. The portable case must fully cover the golf clubs.
Sport Boards and Kayaks
Small kayaks, surfboards, windsurfing boards, snowboards, or similar boards are allowed on the plane as long as they do not exceed the permitted measures. Fully wrap the board in plastic or protective foam. Completely cover the nose and tail and disassemble the wings or pack them tightly. For kayaks, paddles must be attached and protected.
You can take a maximum of 2 bowling balls and a pair of bowling shoes in a bag. Place protective material between the balls to prevent them from shifting.
If you’re planning to travel with musical instruments, you can pay for this special baggage service during your booking process, or if you already have a flight, you can do it through the Add Services section, through our Call Center or at the Volaris airport counter.
· Musical instruments can travel in your cabin bag if their size does not exceed 12.99 x 15.74 x 22.44 inches and 22 pounds.
· If the overall dimensions are greater than 51 inches, the instrument must be checked.
· No musical instruments can travel as on board baggage if they exceed 22 pounds.
· Please note that excess baggage charges apply if your checked musical instrument exceeds 55 pounds.
· Also, oversized baggage charges apply if the instrument exceeds 62.2 total inches (height + width + length).
· Consider that the maximum accepted size for a checked musical instrument is 78.7 total inches (height + width + length).
· Musical instruments must be packed in suitable (preferably rigid) cases.
You can take:
· String Instruments
· Flutes and trumpets
· Drum accessories(such as cymbals)
If you wish to travel with any musical instrument other than the ones listed above, you may do so as long as they meet the weight and size requirements.
If you check a bag that measures more than 62 total inches (adding up width, length and height), you'll be charged a fee for oversize baggage.
Baggage cannot measure more than 78.7 total inches (adding up width, length and height). Bags exceeding this limit will not be accepted and cannot be checked as Oversize Baggage.
You will be charged an excess baggage fee if your bag weighs more than 55 pounds.
Excess Baggage Ranges:
· 57.3 - 66.1 lbs
· 68.3 - 77.1 lbs
· 79.3 - 88.1 lbs
· 90 - 99.2 lbs
· Baggage cannot weigh more than 99.2 pounds. Bags exceeding this limit will not be accepted as Overweight Baggage.
· The oversize fee applies for any checked item (including sports equipment and/or musical instruments).
· If one of your items is overweight and oversize, you must pay both fees.
· ON ROUTES FROM/TO MEXICO AND PUERTO RICO: If you purchased a flight before March 1st, 2017, your checked baggage is still included on your fare, regardless of your flight’s date and destination.
These objects are NOT allowed on your cabin bags, but you CAN take them in your checked baggage if they are packed correctly.
Pointy, sharp, or penetrating objects; mountaineering ice picks, ice breakers, axes, knives, combat knives, tactical knives, daggers, kitchen knives, letter openers, cutters, scalpels, swords, sabers, foils, machetes, knitting needles, metal scissors (with sharp ends and blades longer than 2.3 inches), single or double-edged straight razors, and other similar objects.
Barometers and Thermometers
You can check barometers and thermometers if you are a representative of the National Weather Service with proper identification and if they are in resistant packaging that is sealed against leaks.
You can check personal care aerosols with a maximum size and weight of 16.9 fl oz and 1.1 pounds. The total size and weight of aerosols must not exceed 67.6 fl oz and 4.4 pounds. Cover the openings to avoid spillage.
Dry batteries installed in wheelchairs or similarly powered equipment that must comply with our security measures
If they meet airport security requirements, you can check:
The following objects CANNOT be taken in cabin bags or checked baggage.
- Gasoline, methanol, kerosene, lighter fluid, spray paints, rubbing alcohol[K1] , adhesives, polishing and cleaning products for ovens and pipes, solvents and related liquids (organic peroxides, nitro-methane, or other additives), and flammable solids (magnesium, hexamine).
- Batteries of any kind[K2] (liquid or solid), including for vehicles, wheelchairs, or other mobility aids.
- Household chlorine for pools and tubs (hydrogen tetra chlorine[K3] ), bleach, and chlorine disinfectants, or any type of chlorine for industrial use.
- Pistol-shaped lighters or household lighters exceeding 3.5 inches.
- Chemical, biological, and radiological materials, toxic or infectious substances, substances classified as dangerous materials (poison, blood and other bodily fluids, infected biopsies, medicinal or commercial isotopes, drug-testing laboratory samples).
- Hoverboards: In compliance with official regulations recently issued, it is not allowed to transport hoverboards and any other type of self balancing boards, that use lithium batteries and/or lithium-ion batteries, due to their risk of potential overheating and becoming a fire hazard.
We guarantee that your baggage will arrive on the same flight you’re on. With our baggage guarantee, you will receive an electronic credit of $1,000 MXN or $80 USD (depending on the booking currency).
Please consider the following:
Steps to request the Baggage Guarantee:
1. Customers whose baggage has not arrived to the final destination must look for a Customer Service Agent before leaving the baggage claim zone, in order to file a baggage irregularity report.
2. While searching for the missing baggage, the Customer Service Agent will request activation of the Baggage Guarantee.
3. 72 hours after the flight’s arrival, the customer will receive an email with the electronic credit number (to the email address provided by the customer at the booking process). If they don’t receive this e-mail, customers may contact the Volaris Call Center at (55) 1102 8000 and provide their reservation code to request their electronic credit number.
RESTRICTIONS OF THE ELECTRONIC CREDIT
1. It may be used only once.
2. Once it is applied, contracted air transportation services may not be changed or cancelled.
3. Only one electronic credit may be used per purchase.
4. It can only be used before its expiration date and the period of validity may not be extended. Once expired, it cannot be replaced.
5. It cannot be used with other promotions.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
· The electronic credit will become effective 72 hours after the flight's arrival.
· The electronic credit number will be sent by email to the address provided by the customer at the booking process. The Volaris Call Center can also inform customers of their electronic credit number (customers must provide their reservation code).
· The electronic credit is non-transferable.
· If the electronic credit does not cover the entire purchase, the customer must pay for due amount.
· The electronic credit only applies to base fare. It cannot be used for paying taxes, fees, or additional services.
· It is independent from any possible compensation for delay, cargo delay, or lost baggage.
· It does not apply to last-minute checked baggage or to delayed baggage due to security restrictions.
· It can be used when making a reservation through our Call Center or through www.volaris.com by selecting “Electronic Credit” as the payment method.
If your baggage doesn’t arrive, a customer service advisor will file a baggage irregularity report.
We will do everything we can to ensure that you receive your baggage no later than 24 hours after your arrival.
For more information about tracking your baggage, call 01-55-1102-8000. (Press 9 for the baggage department).
If we haven't located your baggage 3 days after your arrival, ask for a complaint form at the airport or request one by sending an email email@example.com
Complete the form and email it to the address above or hand it in at the airport with proof of purchase of the items claimed, your boarding pass, ID, a valid baggage claim check, and the baggage irregularity report that was given to you at the airport.
We’ll get in touch with you shortly after receiving your documents. Or if you prefer, you can call 01-55-1102-8000 for more information about retrieving lost baggage or to inquire about the compensation process.
In the course of normal handling, your baggage may have minor scratches, dents, broken wheels, or broken zippers and may become dirty. Volaris is not responsible for such damage or for any damage that may result from excess baggage content or improper packing of fragile items.
Make a damage complaint as soon as you arrive and a customer service advisor will file a baggage irregularity report.
If you don’t make a complaint as soon as you arrive, Volaris will still investigate your claim but you will not be eligible for compensation. Request the complaint form at the airport or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Complete the form and email it to the address above, or hand it in at the airport with your boarding pass, ID, valid baggage claim check, and the baggage irregularity report that was given to you at the airport.
We’ll get in touch with you shortly after receiving your documents. If you prefer, you can call 01-55-1102-8000 for more information about the compensation process.
BAGGAGE LIABILITY (DOMESTIC FLIGHTS)
The Passenger SHALL NOT CARRY in checked baggage: money, jewelry, art pieces, securities, stocks, bonds, electronic devices such as radios, cell phones, computers and cameras, among others; medication and treatments, perishables, liquids, fragile items. It is also prohibited to carry weapons of any kind, gases, flammable substances, lighters, corrosive items, explosives and magnets among other things. Volaris will not be responsible for the loss of any of the aforementioned items, which will not be considered as baggage, and are being carried without the knowledge or consent of Volaris.
If for any reason the Customer’s checked baggage does not arrive at the assigned conveyor with the rest of the flight’s baggage, the Customer shall present a claim with the Volaris personnel in charge, who will provide him/her with a baggage claim form. The same procedure shall be followed in case of baggage damage.
Baggage damage or loss (Domestic Flights): Compensation due to damage or loss of the checked baggage will be determined pursuant to Mexico’s Civil Aviation Law. For damages or loss of hand/cabin baggage up to 40 (forty) minimum salaries. For damage or loss of checked baggage, up to 75 (seventy five) minimum salaries. All compensations will be calculated with the minimum salary valid in Mexico City when the damage or loss occurs.
Baggage delay (Domestic Flights): If the Customer’s checked baggage does not arrive at the city of destination with him, upon Customer’s request, the Airline will provide for each day of delay, the amount of $250.00 (two hundred and fifty pesos and 00/100) per day for up to three days, meaning that the Customer will receive a maximum of $750.00 (seven hundred and fifty pesos and 00/100) as compensation for the checked baggage delay.
BAGGAGE LIABILITY (INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS)
The Passenger SHALL NOT CARRY in checked baggage medication and treatments, perishables, liquids, or fragile items. It is also prohibited to carry weapons of any kind, gases, flammable substances, lighters, corrosive items, explosives and magnets, among other things.
Volaris does not recommend the transportation of valuable items such as money, jewelry, art pieces and values, or electronic articles such as radios, cell phones, computers, cameras, among others, in checked baggage.
If for any reason the Customer’s checked baggage does not arrive at the assigned conveyor with the rest of the flight’s baggage, the Customer shall present a claim with the Volaris personnel in charge, in accordance with the terms established in the Convention for the Unification of Certain Rules for International Carriage by Air executed in Montreal in 1999 (the “Montreal Convention”). The same procedure shall be followed in case of baggage damage.
Baggage damage or loss (International Flights): compensation due to damage or loss of the checked baggage will be determined pursuant to and in accordance with the limits established in the Montreal Convention.
Baggage delay (International Flights): If Customer’s checked baggage does not arrive at the city of destination with him, responsibility will be determined pursuant to and in accordance with the limits established in the Montreal Convention.
RESTRICTIONS ON BAGGAGE GUARANTEE
· The guarantee is non-transferable and valid for 60 days.
· It may be used to buy air travel but can be applied only to the base rate.
· It does not apply to taxes, fees, or additional services.
· It is independent from any possible compensation due to delay, cargo delay, or lost baggage.
· It does not apply to last-minute baggage check or to baggage that was delayed due to security restrictions.
· It can only be used once and cannot be applied to other promotions.
Allow extra time when flying to the U.S.
Due to security measures implemented by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Volaris strongly encourages you to arrive at the airport a minimum of two hours before your scheduled departure to allow for additional screening time and ensuring you don’t miss your flight. Heightened security measures have been introduced by DHS that require enhanced screening of personal electronic devices such as tablets and laptops. Please be advised, all personal electronic devices larger than a smartphone will need to be easily accessible and have all cases, cover and/or packaging removed. To learn more about the enhanced security measures, please visit the Department of Homeland Security website.
Department of Homeland Securitywill link to the following website:here
Mexico Communications and Transportation Ministry: here
New Baggage Policy starting on March 1st, 2017
Baggage policies vary depending on the route.
If you purchased a flight from/to Mexico or Puerto Rico before March 1st., 2017, your checked baggage is still included on your fare, regardless of your flight’s date and destination. You can check the baggage included on your fee by going to Add Extras.